Sunday, June 13, 2010

We Love Shamu!

I must admit, as much as I am opposed to mass consumerism, blind spending and keeping up with the Joneses, I love kitchy tourist traps, cheesy diners and sappy love songs. I adore side walk cafe's and Farmers Market Vendors and Garage Sales. I also like Carnivals and Fairs and Theme Parks. Although we live in San Diego County and withing an hour of at least 6 theme parks, we rarely go. They are very, very, expensive. (60 dollars per ticket plus parking costs in the double digits...you can see why we go to the local fishing hole for fun! We don't have a handful of hundreds to drop for an afternoon of fun!) So when my very good friend Chris told me he had tickets to SeaWorld, I was just as-if not more-excited as the kids! Shamu! Ray feeding! Overpriced french fries! I could hardly sleep. Here are some pictures of our fun filled day. PS. Note to Self. If you bring extra clothes for the KIDS because of the water rides, it would probably be smart to bring clothes for YOURSELF since you have to ride along with the kids...Thank you Chris-for the use of sweats when we had dinner at your place! WE LOVE SHAMU!

The sad thing about the 'new' Shamu show is that the trainers are no longer allowed in the water. Last year a trainer was killed by a rogue whale and since then the bann has been in place. I think it's unfortunate all around. Sad that the trainer died and sad that now the rest of the trainers cant do what they love. Im sure the trainer who was killed would not be happy with this decision either. To me, the rationale makes as much sense as saying we can no longer drive cars because there have been fatal car accidents.


The Shark Encounter is always exciting. I don't care how many times I've seen this exhibit-I still get a delicious little chill down my spine whenever I see these guys. JAWS, anyone?





The skyride: The gondola's that run over Mission Bay and give a spectacular view of our city. I love living in San Diego County! Chris sure was a good sport...he didn't tell me he was terrified of heights until we were ON the ride. I guess he decided staying behind and being a purse holder was worse than facing his fears!






The batrays are my favorite!


You can just tell those boys are up to something!


Before the water ride...and after! The best part was Chris, not having children and forgetting to censor the cuss words,let a few choice words fly as our 'boat' of 8 people was about ready to go under the waterfall. I did the best mommy shushing that I could while laughing my butt off -but it sure was less than believable... When we got off, soaked and cold, the little girl who sat next to Chris got off, wiped the water that was dripping off of her nose with the back of her hand, put her hand on her hip, looked him up and down and said "I heard what you said!" She tossed her head and marched off. Gee-I could learn some pointers from that 7 year old girl! Aren't all girls that age deliciously bossy?!

No comments: