Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Day in the Park

Jonah and I had a nice morning while Dante was in school. We met Ana, who used to be our nanny, at the park. (Now that both boys are in school, I don't need her anymore. We sure do miss her, though!) I always forget about Libby Lake Park. It's probably one of Oceanside best parks. It has a very large pond in the middle of it with a fountain and lots and lots of ducks. A nice trail skirts its periphery and there are also many benches around the lake for sitting, relaxing, and enjoying the view. I guess I forget to come here because it is in the middle of a not so great neighborhood. Actually, it's a BAD neighborhood. I would never want to be here at night. NEVER. Yet as I looked around, I didn't see any graffiti, trash or any truant kids posturing on the playground. It was quite peaceful. Maybe the neighborhood is turning itself around. They have build a preschool across the street from the park, and the community center around the corner is recently remodelled. It would be great if this little corner of Oceanside starts cleaning up. It would be good for it's residents, it's children, it's schools, and the city in general. Even though times are unstable for all of us, the winds of change are coming. Even to a poor neighborhood in a small suburb in Southern California. I can feel it. And for the first time in a long time, I am hopeful.







No comments: