Sunday, July 15, 2007

Immigration

We are the richest country in the world, and yet cannot offer charity or even humanity to others who want to better their lives, and the lives of their children. I know if i were in their shoes, I would do all i could to come to America. As far as 'doing it legally'- I think if the poor had the $2000-dollars it took to just start the paper work, they would probably spend it on food for their children! It also takes YEARS to process. My sister-in law was trying to sponsor her mom to come here; it took SIX YEARS to get her here. And that is with a family member here in the states, willing to sponsor and pay for her to come here. If I lived in a third world Latin American country, i think i would take my chances to get here rather than watch my children starve.
Why do we see white guys on the corner with signs that say ‘will work for food” and 98% of all immigrants work? Immigrants work, sometimes with false SS cards, so they DO pay taxes yet cannot get the benefit that comes with it. For those who DON”T pay taxes, ‘legalize’ them, and they can. For those who send their money home, those family members in turn buy food and products exported from the US, which in turn benefits our own economy. Why do Mexicans ‘illegally’ cross the border? Many reasons for sure, in part because NAFTA bottomed out the miniscule wages they already made so we can buy cheap goods from rich companies like Wallmart, who offer little insurance to their employees.(but they do have a ‘how to apply for Med-cal” part of their orientation.) America spends more on health insurance for Wallmart’s uninsured, (at 56 million dollars a year) than we do for ‘illegals.’ The average hourly wage in Mexico is $4.60 a day…
How do we justify a county of 300 million++ -2/3rds of whom are suffering from ill effects of obesity, and be unwilling to help others who cannot even afford to feed their children?
I think the biggest irony is that we claim to be a Christian nation, and yet turn our hearts away from those who suffer, or are looking for a better life.

Romans 12 states:

....Rejoice with those who rejoice and be sad with those who sorrow. Treat everyone with equal kindness; never be condescending but make real friends with the poor. Do not allow yourself to become self satisfied. Never repay evil with evil but let everyone see that you are interested in only the highest ideals. Do all you can to live at peace with everyone.

Also Matthew 25 : 24-46

Then the King will say to those on the right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom that was prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.' Then the righteous will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you? And the king will say them in reply, ' Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for the of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.' Then he will say to those at his left. Depart from me you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared, for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.' Then they will answer and say, 'Lord, when did wee see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not administer to your needs?' He will answer them, ' Amen i say to you, what you did not do for one of the least ones, you did not do for me.' And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

So- I think if we can remember to see Christ in all we meet, even the unkempt, the unclean, and the unwanted, (whom he most loved, and most ministered to) we shall be less likely to judge, and more likely to love.
Just my thoughts on the subject… Pax Christi

No comments: